In February the Australian Government will begin a phased roll-out of COVID-19 vaccines to everyone living in Australia.
Residential aged care facility (RACF) workers and residents, GPs, other health professionals and people who regularly provide care and support visits or volunteer within RACFs will be among the first people who can choose to receive the vaccine.
Free online webinar
The Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN) will host a panel of medical professionals in a free webinar to discuss COVID-19 vaccination and provide information to help older Australians make an informed decision about being vaccinated.
The webinar will be held online this Thursday 4 February 2021 from 3–4pm AEDT.
Providers are encouraged to let aged care residents and consumers know about the online webinar and are welcome to view the webinar themselves.
Why the webinar is important
Having the COVID-19 vaccination is voluntary, but strongly encouraged.
As with all aspects of care, older Australians have the right to make their own choices about the medications they take and to be fully informed about their medicines and vaccinations.
It is important that all available facts are provided to people so that they can make an informed decision for themselves or for someone they love or support.
The online webinar will help you learn more about COVID-19 vaccination, the ability of vaccination to protect older people from COVID-19, and how to support older people to decide if the COVID-19 vaccine is right for them.
Topics and speakers
The webinar will cover the following topics:
- What we know so far about the COVID-19 vaccines
- The Australian Government’s National Rollout Strategy for aged care facilities and the broader community
- How to determine if the COVID-19 vaccination is the right choice for you or your loved one
- Individual rights in aged care, including about medicines and vaccines
- How to support an older person receiving aged care to exercise their rights.
The following people will be on the panel:
- Dr Melanie Wroth, Chief Clinical Advisor, Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission
- Dr Edward Strivens, Clinical Director, Older Persons, Subacute and Rehab (OPSAR), Cairns and Hinterland Hospital and Health Service
- Dr Daman Langguth, Clinical Immunologist and Immunopathologist, The Wesley Hospital (Brisbane)
- Mr Craig Gear, OAM, CEO Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN).
A live question and answer session will follow the discussion.
How to register for the webinar
Register to attend the COVID-19 Vaccine – What You Need to Know webinar online.
The webinar will be held this Thursday 4 February 2021 from 3 – 4pm AEDT.
More information about OPAN is available at opan.com.au.
Department of Health